Please note: If you would like anyone other than yourself to have access to your Academic Success usage information (i.e. tutoring appointments, study hours, academic coaching enrollment, etc.) please fill out and submit a Release of Information Form.
Read more about the services available to you for free in AS:
1-to-1 Tutoring is a free, appointment-based tutoring program offered to all OU undergraduate students by Academic Success. Tutoring is available in many courses, with an emphasis on introductory freshman and sophomore level courses. Our tutors are some of our brightest, most academically successful undergraduate students. Tutors meet one-on-one with students and are available for to assist with math, physics, chemistry, biology, foreign language, and economics courses. All 1-on-1 Tutoring is held in Academic Success, located in the Turner Lynch Campus Center.
If you’ve already received tutoring services, please share your experiences with us through this survey!
The Writing Center offers Oglethorpe students free, one-on-one tutoring sessions with fellow student writers trained to consult on writing assignments in any discipline and at any stage of the writing process. Writing Center tutors are trained to assist with:
- Students seeking help with grammar or style
- Resident and commuting first year students enrolled in Narratives of the Self
- Core students at all levels
- Transfer students adjusting to Oglethorpe’s writing standards
- English as a second language/international students adjusting to the conventions of American academic writing
- Any students writing class papers, creative essays, critiques, research projects, speeches and symposium presentations
- You must make appointments at least 24 hours in advance.
- You may book one appointment per day per subject and a total of two meetings per week per subject. If you feel that additional tutoring sessions are needed, please email email@example.com.
- If you cannot attend your appointment, cancel it on Tutortrac.
- Please note that simply clicking on the “decline” link in the appointment notification email does not cancel the appointment. You must login to TutorTrac to cancel an appointment.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic assistance program that utilizes peer-assisted study sessions. SI sessions are regularly-scheduled, informal review sessions in which students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and predict test items. Students learn how to integrate course content and study skills while working together. The sessions are facilitated by “SI leaders,” students who have previously done well in the course and who attend all class lectures, take notes, and act as model students. SI is a free service offered to all students in a targeted course. SI is a non-remedial approach to learning as the program targets high-risk courses rather than high-risk students. All students are encouraged to attend SI sessions, as it is a voluntary program. Students with varying levels of academic preparedness are encouraged to participate.
If you’ve already received supplemental instruction services, please share your experiences with us through this survey!
Academic Coaching provides students with a chance to work individually with a professional staff member to improve their academic skills, confidence, and performance. The Academic Coach empowers students to become successful and self-directed lifelong learners. Working 1-on-1 with an Academic Coach will help students identify and utilize new learning tools and strategies in order to help students meet their academic and personal goals. Each week coaches help students create their own action plan by identifying priorities and deadlines for the week.
Academic Coaches can assist students:
- Establish and maintain daily schedules and routines.
- Develop strategies for breaking down projects into manageable and achievable tasks.
- Help students establish priorities and create S.M.A.R.T. goals.
- Teach strategies for organizational management.
- Support students through decision making process.
- Increase awareness of procrastination and identify ways to get back on track.
- Assist with exam preparation and test taking strategies.
In the Academic Coaching Program, students and coaches develop working relationships through weekly meetings and follow up email communications. In the meetings, coaches use a variety of tools to help students improve their time management, study strategies, issues related to attention, focus, and motivation. Academic Coaching is open to undergraduate and evening students. To ensure the full benefits of this experience, students are asked to commit at least one hour per week for the entire semester to academic coaching.
To get started in the Academic Coaching Program, please make an appointment with Academic Success by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 364-8867.
EXCEL @ OU is an academic support program for first and second year students who are not meeting their own academic expectations. This program provides students an extended opportunity to work with staff members and to develop customized success plans.
EXCEL @ OU members also gain access to additional academic support services including tutoring, workshops, academic coaching, and study hours. EXCEL @ OU Gets Results! Student who participated fully in the EXCEL program experienced a 64% increase in GPA over just one semester!
Academic probation students who fully participated in the EXCEL program experienced a 1 point GPA increase from fall 2015 to spring 2016, while students who did not participate at all experienced a 0.5 point GPA decrease from fall 2015 to spring 2016.
AS offers exam proctoring for all students. Proctoring allows students to complete exams in a quiet, distraction-free environment, while being proctored by an Academic Success staff member. For non-disability students, we offer proctoring for exams such as the Accuplacer or Major Field Tests. We also offer proctoring for Oglethorpe course exams BUT all these request must be initiated by the faculty member. To request a proctor, please fill out our Proctor Request Form.