Housing and Dining

Housing1Requests for housing and dining accommodations or exemption will be considered on a case-by-case basis according to need. Documentation of disability and strong medical support is required. Following a thorough review, Academic Success staff will make recommendations as appropriate to the Office of Residence Life. If the Office of Residence Life cannot provide the recommended accommodation, an exemption from the housing requirement will be granted. (See documentation requirements.)


In general, the following diagnoses may lend themselves to housing accommodations or exemption:

  • Disorders Involving Muscular Degeneration
  • Immunodeficiency Disorders (or need for chronic medication which significantly impacts immune function)
  • Sleep Disorder (generally a full sleep assessment including sleep disorder lab study will be required)

In general, the following diagnoses do not lend themselves to housing accommodations or exemption:

  • Allergies
  • Arthritis
  • Asthma
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Crohn’s Disease
  • Depression and/or Anxiety
  • Eating Disorders
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Migraine Headaches
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

A qualified medical professional must provide a letter (with original signature) on letterhead that includes a clear statement of the medical diagnosis, the basis for diagnosis, and prognosis, as well as the current impact of the disability as it relates to the housing request that is being supported. The credentials of the diagnosing professional must be listed if not clear from professional letterhead or other forms. The diagnosing professional may not be a family member.

In all cases, the University expects students to adhere to the treatment recommendations of the professionals helping them manage their care. To this end, requests MUST be made every academic year to the next and updated documentation stating student progress may be required at the time of renewal requests.

See complete documentation requirements.

If you feel the OAS staff has not adequately addressed your concerns, please follow the steps outlined under “Grievance Procedures.” 

Title III of the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 dictates that an institution must make reasonable academic adjustments, provide auxiliary aids and/or services for those individuals with a qualified disability who self identify. To determine reasonable adjustments, auxiliary aids and/or services, Academic Success staff will seek current documentation of the student’s disorder/impairment, as well as, information from appropriate University personnel regarding essential standards for courses, programs, services, activities, and facilities. A reasonable academic adjustment is one that does not require a substantial change in the curriculum or alter any of the essential elements or functions of the course, program, service, or activity. Academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and/or services are determined on a case-by-case basis and course-by-course basis.