The Center for Student Success, located on the lower level of Robinson Hall, anchors Oglethorpe’s commitment to providing holistic and developmental student support services and programs on campus. Student Success provides students with an inclusive and integrative environment where they can leverage their experiences to make a life, make a living, and make a difference.
Student Success offers tutoring services, supplemental instruction, accessibility services, academic coaching, a reduced-distraction testing environment and consultation through the A_LAB’s Writing Center.
Students also participate in academic advising through a collaborative educational process in which students and their advisors are partners in meeting the essential learning outcomes, ensuring student academic success, and outlining the steps for achievement of the student’s personal, academic, and career goals.
Read more about the services available:
The Excel Academic Coaching Program (EACP) is designed to provide the structure, support, and resources to foster academic success. Through the Excel Program, students have a meaningful opportunity to develop and bolster the skills and habits necessary to be dedicated and accomplished scholars and community members. Participants in the program utilize a variety of academic services – peer tutoring, writing support, accessibility services, etc. – that positively impact their academic journey toward graduation. The Excel Program also facilitates opportunities for students to develop effective strategies aimed at improving their socio-emotional, academic, and self-authorship skills.
The Excel Program operates on a continuum of connection consisting of two parts:
- Supportive Partnership: Members of Academic Staff, current student peer leaders, faculty, and Excel Program students work together to discuss classroom performance, address any academic challenges, discuss strategies for improvement, establish manageable goals, and create meaningful action plans.
- Student Responsibility: Excel Program students are active leaders in their academic journey. It is students’ responsibility to attend and thoughtfully participate in courses, to reflect on their progress through self-analysis of strengths and area for growth, and to seek out and utilize resources as needed.
The Excel Program requires that you meet the following conditions:
- Enroll in Oglethorpe’s Academic Foundations course
- Participate in tutoring, academic support, and individual meetings as designated by Academic Success staff
- Remain in good conduct standing
Student Success offers a reduced-distraction testing environment as an academic accommodation for those registered with accessibility services that have been approved for this accommodation. This service is requested by students registered with accessibility services. Due to staff and space limitations, Student Success will review non-accessibility-related proctoring requests on a case-by-case basis. To initiate the request, professors are asked to email Success@Oglethorpe.edu. Staff will review the request and notify the professor if we will be able to honor the request. Thank you!